Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

Dutch quirks (and some cricket)

The Dutch, like all other people, are strange people. As my mom says, the people you come across in shops are either as nice as they could possibly be or as horrible as they could possibly be. Here are some examples and counterexamples.

*I've put together the list for SA, but I'm not sure how reliable it is as Forbes lists countries by primary listing apparently, so Old Mutual, Anglo and SAB are all supposedly English. That makes me a little piqued, I can tell you. I have included the big ones I can remember (including those mentioned. Anyway, South Africa's equivalents are: 0/100, 2/200, 8/500, 9/1000 and 19/2000. World leaders in mining and brewing but nothing else.

Note: The above stats come from my love of going through lists and compiling things. I've always been a keen amateur statistician, and used to make bunches of them when I was young, especially world records and championships held by Jewish sportsmen, and cricketing records held for any period of time by South Africans, eg Jackie McGlew held the record for the slowest century (545 minutes - that must have been hell to watch**) from 1957 until 1977. I still have all these lists at home, so if anybody is interested let me know and I can make copies when I go home in February.

** Actually, the whole match, vs Australia, sounds awful (non-cricket-fans can probably stop reading now). On Day 1, 155 runs were scored, on day 2, 158, on day 3, 168, on day 4, 183, and on day 5, 175. Some of you (those who care) may be asking where I get this info: from my absolute 100% totally favourite site on the Internet: cricinfo.com. If you like cricket, go there and look around: it will ruin your productivity and make you much happier. (Unless you're South African and you follow those plonkers in West Australia. To lose by an innings! Against a state side! That had lost the 4 previous games! On a ground that we should do well on! I won't say I'm worried, but this doesn't augur well.)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares