Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

End of term

Many people have either left the Tribunal lately or have taken leave already, so there isn't that much to do, and all the people I've been working with are away, so I decided to work from home yesterday and today, which was very enjoyable. Just me, my computer, and some heavy editing. What could be better?

Also took the opportunity to get back on the cooking wagon. One leaving friend sold her collection of books, so I bought one called Solo Dinners. Beyond the really unfortunate name - I think Dinners for One or Two would have been much better and would have got the message across just as well - it's quite a nice cookbook. Last night, I made a White bean guazzetto with seafood and greens, which, though it didn't come out like it looked in the book, tasted lovely - and was just as good today with some pasta thrown in or a type of pasta e fagioli.

Today, after putting in some solid work, I bought a new frying pan and went to one of the nice butchers they have in The Hague (I love butchers) to get some fine lamb chops. Delish with potatoes and broccoli. That kind of meal - meat, potato/rice and one veg - is for me true comfort food - it makes me feel like I've had a real dinner, the type I get at home. Sometimes when I make one of 8 Rutland Rd's signature dishes - diced potatoes or fried broccoli, cauliflower and onions - I get a very bittersweet homesickness. (My folks and Al are in Wilderness right now - it would be great to be with them - but I'll see 'em all in varying stages over the next few months.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares