Thursday, January 26, 2006

 

Urbanity

Urban of course means relating to a city. Urbane is worldly, sophisticated, somewhat insouciant. (My definition; Wordnet says, "1: Showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience; "his polished manner"; "maintained an urbane tone in his letters" 2: Characterized by tact and propriety 3: Marked by wide-ranging knowledge and appreciation of many parts of the world arising from urban life and wide travel; "the sophisticated manners of a true cosmopolite"; "urbane and pliant...he was at ease even in the drawing rooms of Paris", which isn't all that far from my definition.)

Both of them, I like to think characterise my life - not only myself, but also my friends, and others that I like being around. Some cities are more urbane than others, and I think Amsterdam is pretty high on the list. Which is why it was a good setting for a mini-reunion with good friends, and a rather sophisticated outing.

I was joined in the Dam at the flat of Kjetil Larsen by Rich Barnett and Chris Barchak.

Kjetil is from Norway - I was probably the first person who spoke to him when he arrived at Stanford. He was "young, slim and promising" (his words). We were friends there but lost touch after, so this was the first time I've seen him in about 11 years - but the time lapse wasn't felt.

Rich and I became friendly early on at Stanford; we were part of the same residential educational programme (Structured Liberal Entertainment) and Rich became famous for his multi-part questions. After college (and all that entailed), while I went my wayward ways, Rich became Big in Japan, but we've always been in touch and have managed to spend time together at fairly regular intervals.

Chris I met in London through Rich (via Hamish) and we had many awesome times there together; he once leant me an off-white tracksuit to watch Fulham with Gordon in the rain after we'd been out all night and morning clubbing.

Now these guys are very important to me on a number of levels. As individuals, they are fantastic people. They are also parts of groups of my friends, who matter a great deal to me. And they know me, which means 2 things. First, they can connect and call me on my bullshit (rare and infrequent though it is). Second, when I'm with them I see my past - as well as my present and my future. I feel very blessed in the friends I have managed to make and retain, and I am proud to count these guys in that number.*

That may not have been very eloquent, but it's from the heart.**

So what indeed did we do that weekend? First night we stayed at Kjetil drinking and talking till the wee (actually, they'd started getting a bit bigger again) hours. Second night, we went to the Supper Club, a very fancy restaurant-cum-bar-cum club. Five-course meal (while lying on a bed) over many hours, with massages, entertainment and other cool stuff. Then you go downstairs to dance. Pricey, but worth it - unusual and sophisticated. We went because another close friend, Alex Lustberg, has opened the San Francisco branch. (My friends are so impressive...)

* Conversely, I sometimes feel sad at the friends I have lost touch with or cannot see often, but I realise, when I'm being philosophical, that this is partly a price I pay for moving around, which has itself gained me many new friends. Though some of it is my fault for not working hard enough to maintain contact.

** Also, I told Rich and Chris that I would write about what they meant to me when describing this weekend, to stop them making fun of my blog. It worked - they were halted dead in their tracks :-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares